Wednesday, December 8, 2010
TRUTH - Day 29: Something you hope to change about yourself. And why.
I finally realize that I don't have to resolve everything and that I don't have resolve everything with a long drawn out conversation. I hope that I have the strength and patience to actually implement that. I always want there to be an exchange of feelings and thoughts, a sharing of perspectives and impacts, an agreement of some better way of communicating or interacting. Well the truth is, resolution or long-term resolution doesn't always come out of those long drawn out conversations. Why have them? Why not just find a way to fix it or move on? I was listening to a radio conversation one day about successful marriages. An older women called in and her advice was if something is bothering you, don't talk about it, don't nag about it, just fix it. She gave an example I could relate to. If your husband takes off his tie downstairs after work and leaves it downstairs and it bothers you . . . don't discuss with him how much it bothers you . . . don't drop hints . . . don't protest by allowing the ties to build up over weeks . . . pick up the tie and carry it upstairs next time you go up. You have the power to make yourself feel better without making someone else feel worse about an unconscious action. It is the same concept as my "Love Notes" blog. If I can approach my marriage with that healthy perspective, why can't I apply those same theories to other relationships? I would like to find ways within my control to either fix situations or simply move on with a lot less unnecessary energy spent for everyone. And you guys can all hold me to that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fixing can be very empowering. Also patience can be very healing. In that situation the husband might be doing something nice that the woman hasn't noticed because she was spending her energy obsessing over the tie thing and long conversations.
ReplyDeleteWell said Jolie! I, too, always like to talk things out and come to a resolution, though 9 times out of 10 I want it to be my resolution and for me to be right. This is wonderful advice and is somethign I need to work on in my life!
ReplyDeleteAdria - I didn't even think about all the nice things you would be overlooking!
ReplyDeleteMegs - I failed to mention, but I'm in your boat . . . I want it to be my resolution!