Monday, March 4, 2013

I quit sugar. I'm quitting sugar. I'm going to quit sugar.

These days, there are certain events that have been making me think about my diet...my nutrition. When I get dressed and attempt to button pants that used to fit better...two months ago when I was 4 months post partum not 6 months post partum!  In the afternoon when there is a ton of work to do and all I want to do is sneak away to eat a dark chocolate Hershey bar in peace...and I do. At dinner time when all I want is ice cream but motherhood prevents me from consuming and serving such a dinner to my children...except for last Friday when I couldn't reset and we did have ice cream for dinner.

My sweet tooth became cravings. And my cravings have become a habit. My habit is an addiction. I can no longer even make it through my day without my fix. Then I saw this book advertised on a blog I follow. "I Quit Sugar". A gorgeous women working happily in the kitchen sugar free...yes please! The cover page alone spoke to what I know I should be doing for myself, for my children, for the baby I am nursing. Funny that those are the things that will keep me going but I don't mind a little superficial motivation to get me started.

And then I ignored it. But I thought about it for days even when I didn't want to. Then I downloaded a sample of the book. The author talked about how she was in denial of her sugar habit because she consumed only "healthy sugar" like fruit, honey, agave, dark chocolate. YES. ME TOO! She talked about how healthy sugars led to unhealthy sugars, unhealthy ways of processing high quantities of even the healthiest of sugars, and the health problems she was experiencing. I don't have health problems - right now - but I don't feel good. I don't have long lasting energy (long term goal). I don't have healthy skin (superficial motivation). And then I mentally committed to doing it. 8 weeks to break what has become a habit...an addiction.

2 weeks of prep. 6 weeks no sugar...not even the healthy kind. Then I'll start to incorporate healthy sugars back into my diet in more appropriate quantities. I'm actually a little nervous because I know it is going to hurt. I know I'm not going to feel well at some point. I know that will all past and on the other side I will feel better.

Week one. Start to pay attention to how much sugar your are consuming and start to cut back here and there. Day one, I nearly tripled the daily suggested sugar intake and I didn't even have my afternoon chocolate bar! YIKES!

3 comments:

  1. Go for it Jo!!! Its sort of hard at first but you will realize how much sugar affects your body. I get bloated and tired when I eat it. Meant no more chocolates nights for us but it was worth it. Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I know I will feel better and I know it will be hard to resist but it will be with it!

      Delete
  2. Meat products usually make me crave all sugary things. If I want to cut sugar I have to cut meat....funny how different things trigger our cravings.

    ReplyDelete