Monday, December 17, 2012

WHY!?

I'm asking why the same way Petie does...No matter what answer Iget Ijust keeping saying WHY!?

The base is in the middle of an exercise. Wednesday Petie came home from school telling us that there was a bad guy at school and they had to hide behind the teachers desk and be very quiet. He told us the bad guy had a gun and wanted to hurt them and someone needed to kill the bad guy. He told his story over and over again and some versions were more elaborate then others. Some included him and Bella being shot in the arm and getting in an ambulance and going to the hospital. We assume the base was doing an active shooter drill as part of the exercise. As he told his stories I was torn between the reality of being on an Air Force Base and frustration of what they had just exposed my three year old son to. I was expressing my concern to a co-worker Friday morning saying "couldn't they have told the kids that they were going to play a game and everyone needed to be quiet and hide...WHY!?...why does my three year old need the details?" Then I turned around and saw the headline on the news. It occurred to me that this is the reality of our world now and my three year old does need the details. As kids we practiced hiding under our desk for tornado drills...My kids will practice hiding from gunman. I just can't wrap my head around any of this. I try to not read the news...it isn't helping but I keep coming back to it in hopes that something will answer the burning aching WHY!? in my gut.

No comments:

Post a Comment