Before Petie was born I read a multitude of parenting books like any other first time mother and formed a plan for how I was going to parent. Mike and I decided that attachment parenting or co sleeping was not the parenting or maybe I should say infant survival method for us. For no other reason then that it wasn't a good fit for us ... no judging. Our little Petie would wake promptly for his nightly feedings and then I would lay our little double burrito wrapped guy gently into his bassinet where he was content until the next feeding. During the day he would nap in his crib, bobby, carseat, bouncer, mama or dadas arms ... anywhere but the swing.
The only thing I knew going into infant survival mode with Charlie was that I was more confident and too tired to read books and have a parenting style. I also knew I was going to hold him more because now I know just how fast they really do grow up. Charlie decided, as if ripped from the womb a month early (which he wasn't), that he could only sleep (day or night) in someone's arms or on a good night very close to either Mike or I. Well I got my wish to hold him more!
I cant blame him. He was born in January. It is freakin cold. We just went through an artic blast. It is freakin even colder. He has reflux issues which requires him to be at an incline. He has back bending, red in the face, screaming in pain gas and other digestive issues. Which by the way the doctors aren't concerned with since he is gaining weigh so well. But it was bad enough that after some internet research I decided to cut out dairy, chocolate, citrus, strawberries, cherries, peanuts, and my iron supplement ... all staples of my recent diet. I also decided to avoid broccoli and beans. This is a controversial move that doctors don't think has any real affect on digestive issues ... but I have noticed an extreme difference in my baby's mode and is well worth it for the comfort of my baby and sanity of my family. I will start to reintroduce most of those things back into my diet as his digestion continues to develop.
Anyways. A week and a half into our co sleeping ritual, Mike, Charlie, and I lay snuggled in our bed and Mike and I questioned how could we have not done this with Petie. We even felt guilty for not giving Petie this opportunity ... this extra time with us!
Two days ago, nearly four weeks into our family expansion adventure, Mike told me that he was going to sleep on the couch ... he wasn't sleeping well with Charlie in bed. Neither was I. My heart sank ... I will stop eating cheese, strawberries, and chocolate ... but give up my husband ... not without a fight! I figured now that Charlie had some developmental time under his belt and with my new diet taking positive affect ... we could try the bassinet again. And that night and the next now, that's right two successful nights in a row, I got to remember what it is like to fall asleep touching more then just my into my husband's foot ... no pregnant belly ... no baby. It feels so good!
So Charlie slept in his bassinet. It wasnt exactly that easy. Charlie slept in his bassinet positioned in our bathroom, with the rocker feet locked up under the bathroom cabinets to prevent rocking and to provide a slight incline, with a space heater, an air purer for white noise, and a heating pad warming his blankets during feedings. But did I mention how good it felt to sleep in bed with just my husband!?
So the real point is that now I know that as a parent the only thing I do know is that I know nothing. A bit cliche. But nonetheless, I look forward to what Petie, Charlie, and future olmi babies have to teach me!
Now off for another hour of sleep!
I always love hearing (or in this case reading) what you have to say! You inspired me to approach parenting the same way you did with Petie and though I'm sure I didn't do it exactly the same way you did I was sometimes discouraged that Matilda didn't want to do things the way Petie did! Eventually I figured out that all babies are different (again a cliche I know...)and no book, doctor, friend, family member can tell you the exact way to raise an infant. I still have my things I want to do/not do but I've learned from watching you with Petie, and now Charlie, that no matter what you attempt to do, they still have their own little personalities that make some things easier and some things more difficult to do. I'm excited to continue to raise our babies together and watch them grow into the little people they are meant to become!
ReplyDeletePS I hope you got more than an extra hour of sleep!
Everyone slept until 8! Now its nap time.
ReplyDeleteI do think it's funny how, when it comes to parenting, experience can actually give you a false sense of...well, experience. As Megan said, we are all unique...and even when you think you've figured out a few things about parenting, along comes a new little personality to humble you and remind you that you really don't know as much as you thought you did!
ReplyDeleteI love Megan's quote about watching our little one's grow in to the people they are meant to be...on the same token, I'm enjoying watching us grow into the parents we are meant to be!
Peter and Charlie are blessed to have you and Mike as parents. You guys are doing a great job :)
Loves.
I agree with Sara! It's fun watching us all be parents :)
ReplyDelete