Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Moving and Teeth and Sounds . . . oh my!

Petie continues to become more and more efficient at moving himself around. It is just amazing and so exciting to see him want something and go and get it himself. Where did my little lump go that really didn't necessarily know what he wanted and most certainly couldn't get it himself.

Just when I was beginning to doubt if there really were teeth under those firm little gums . . . they emerged! Just a few days ago I saw two little white bumps and I asked Sara if those were them and now we have the tips of two sharp little teeth just poking out! Where did my tiny toothless little Pickle go?

If Petie has been delayed at one thing . . . it has probably been communication and babbling. He has had the same babbles for probably four months now and hadn't really figured out how to string those babbles together. I kinda figured it was because Mike and I don't really speak the English language - as Mimi would say, we have invented our own language which only Mike and I understand. I figured Petie would join our Monurtle language clan and we would live happily ever after (which would make it a Monurickle language) . . . of course Petie would probably be made fun of in school and his doctors would send him to specialist and so on . . . but big deal . . . I had to see a speech therapist because I didn't say the letter "r" and I survived! In some effort to also correct the bad habit that Mike and I both have of hating reading . . . I force a book down all of our throats every night (a children's book - but it is a book) . . . I even make the dogs come and read with us and any visitors that might be staying the night (but Girly and Mimi have been the only willing participants) BUT! Tonight after we were done reading our bedtime story . . . Peter just started babbling. He made sounds Mike and I had never heard and he was stringing them together in endless combination! Where has my baby gone!? He is so grown up!

2 comments:

  1. I think the unique family language is cute... like a secret special bond, not that you don't have that already... but you get it. It seems like they are doing nothing oneday and the very next the start moving or talking like it is natural. It is soooo wonderful but at the same time your like whats the rush to grow up! Somedays I think my babies are on the verge of flying the coop, and then I remember I have at least 18 more years with them =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sweet. Perhaps Petie will become a linguist for the Air Force and invent languages for fun!

    ReplyDelete